I can’t thank you guys enough for the comments and love you showered on JRR Tolkien this month, and I’m so grateful to have been able to take an entire month to celebrate my favorite author!
That said, I do recognize that there are those out there that aren’t as overly excited about him as I am. And now that January is done, it’s time to look ahead. Obviously, I’m not going to be celebrating Tolkien for the rest of my life. (I mean, at least not publicly.) An Adventure in Tolkien is still ongoing, so you’ll be seeing reviews here and there. I do have a goal of rereading the entire trilogy, plus starting on the History of Middle-earth with the first two volumes, but outside of that, we’re back to talking about all things books.
So, what can you expect on the blog moving forward?
Well, one of my 2020 goals is to actually have, and stick, to a schedule. I want to write posts in advance because that just works better for me. If I leave it until the night before, or the day of, it’s just not going to happen. This was how I worked with fanfiction, too. If I started posting before I’d gotten far ahead of myself, I eventually just stopped writing.
And so, this post is to hold myself accountable. I’m going to try to draft at least 50% of the next month’s posts in the previous month, and then anything that’s leftover each week will need to be written before end of day on Sunday. I’m aiming to make that initial 50% the first half of the month, but for months like March, when I’m traveling abroad, I’ll hopefully have all of March and the beginning of April written in advance.
Thus, a schedule has kind of fallen into place! It’s started with the Tolkien month, and I thought it worked out really well, so here’s what you can expect:
- Some form of discussion on Monday. Sometimes, it might just be me yelling about the love I have for two characters (ie: literally a few days ago). Sometimes, it might be me breaking down why a particular series means so much to me (stay tuned).
- TTT meme on Tuesday. I really enjoy breaking up the lengthy posts with something a little more general and quick, and I think it keeps the blog interesting when it’s not just long posts full of text and the occasional fanart or gif.
- Whatever the hell I want on Wednesday. Or, reviews. This will generally be the day that you see a new addition for An Adventure in Tolkien, but when I’m not reading for that project, it’ll be things like:
- Did you know I have bookish cats?
- Is that 100% a spoiler for next week? YES.
- Biweekly tags on Thursday. The first three days of the week have been really easy for me to manage with pre-writing, but I’d still like to have a designated slot for the occasional tag here or there. Obviously, I’ve already screwed that up since I did one yesterday, but we can forgive that since I also bit off more than I could chew trying to read three Tolkien books this month.
- Wrap-ups on Friday. I’ve tried to do wrap-ups on the last day of the month, but sometimes, that means double-posting, so instead, I’m just keeping it simple. Wrap-ups are back to monthly instead of biweekly because I’m not reading enough anymore for that, so this day will usually be nothing.
And all of this is definitely information that no one needs, but that I’m putting out there so I’ll feel like an ass if I don’t stick to it. Because the only way to actually achieve goals is to actively work toward them. So here I am, taking steps in the right direction.